Table of Contents
- Do you sell products or services on your website or an e-commerce store?
- Do you conduct surveys or questionnaires online?
- Do you collect email addresses for a newsletter or other mailings?
- Do you work with plug-ins, apps, or other third parties that may collect your visitors' personal data?
- Do you use online behavioral advertising?
- Are you collecting data and selling it to another party?
There are millions of American websites, some of which aren’t compliant with U.S. federal laws that govern privacy policies. So is it dangerous to operate your site without one? If you collect personal data, it could open your company up for a liability lawsuit. A visitor to your site could potentially sue you, or — even more likely — the state or federal government may fine you or your company.
These fines are no joking matter, either. They can reach into the tens of thousands of dollars — or more.
- Whether third parties collect personal data on your site
- What personal information is collected — by you or other parties
- How a visitor can request changes to their collected data
- How the website owner will respond to a "do not track" request from users
The CalOPPA is just one of many state laws in the U.S. that protects web visitors from unscrupulous data collection practices.
In 2021, Amazon.com received a whopping $888 million fine for violating the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). While the company you run may not be penalized so severely, these rules and regulations demand respect and compliance.
Just make sure that you can answer each question confidently and correctly. If you’re unsure about any of your answers, it's best to stop and check before proceeding.
How Can It Help Me?
A generator tool has several benefits:
- It's quicker than hiring a lawyer to write the text for you.
- It removes the possibility of human error on the writer's side.
- It's less expensive than paying someone to write the policy.
- Automatically stays up to date
- Organized accordion drop-downs
- Includes a built-in data request button
- Translates to over 23+ languages!
We can launch a GDPR-compliant cookie banner on your online store to gather visitor consent in just a few clicks. Enzuzo can also help you automate your data requests from a convenient dashboard location and ping you with due date reminders.
Want to automate your unsubscribe list? No problem. You can even run GDPR and CCPA compliance reports directly through Enzuzo!
Paige is the growth marketing lead at Enzuzo and host of The Living Lab podcast.