Table of Contents
What is Google Consent Mode?
Google Consent Mode is a feature within Google Tag Manager that configures tags and scripts on external websites to modify how they process data based on user consent status. For example, it's able to process data anonymously if users do not grant consent to cookies, while processing other actions as normal.
Consent Mode allows website owners to track and measure marketing performance without the use of personal or protected data.
How to Install a Google Certified CMP
New Google Consent Mode requirements require advertisers to use a Google-certified CMP to be able to deliver ads in Europe.
This is designed to help companies take advantage of conversion modelling for better reporting and optimization. All Google CMP partners are integrated with Consent Mode and Google Tag Manager, helping organizations capture valuable insights while protecting user privacy.
Enzuzo is a Google-certified CMP — it will help manage cookie consent banners and direct the consent management process by recording and storing visitor consent preferences. Enzuzo then communicates that choice to Google Tag Manager via Consent Mode, and the tag adjusts its behaviour accordingly.
Let's take you through a step-by-step process of installing Google Consent Mode on your website.
Step 1: Register for a free Enzuzo account
Start by registering an Enzuzo account, no credit card required.
Step 2: Configuring your Enzuzo cookie consent banner
To start configuring your cookie consent banner, please log in to Enzuzo and click Cookie Consent from the left-hand dashboard navigation.
Step 3: Choose your display options
In the display section of your website, you can choose when to show the cookie banner to your visitors.
The display options are:
- Banner Behavior: You have the option to disable the website until the user has accepted or declined cookies.
- Display Banner First: Sometimes when a website has multiple pop-ups they can conflict with each other. If you select this, your cookie banner will show on top of any other chat widgets and other website pop-ups you have on your website.
Step 4: Configure your cookie banner button
You can configure your cookie banner button, banner text and display options settings in this section.
Certain privacy laws like GDPR require specific consent settings for your banner to be considered fully compliant. We have highlighted those settings and labelled them GDPR.
We recommend that you keep the following settings enabled:
- Accept (Allow cookies)
- Cookie Manager (Show manager link)
Please note: Some businesses prefer to have a minimal cookie banner with fewer links and settings. This is entirely optional, however; if you don't keep the above settings turned on, your banner might not be 100% compliant.
Step 5: Customize your banner text
In this section, you can customize the wording of your cookie banner's links and buttons.
- Message text: What you would like the cookie banner to say
- Cookie Manager Link Text: The link text which leads to your cookie manager
- Allow All: This is to edit the Accept/Allow button
- Decline Button Text: This is to edit the Decline/Reject button
Step 6: Set up your cookie banner languages
To change your cookie banner language you can choose your preferred language from the dropdown menu.
Please note: Your cookie banner will only show in the language you select.
Step 7: Scan for Cookies
Navigate to Cookie Consent > Manage Cookies > Cookies.
When you initiate a scan, Enzuzo will scan your website for all cookies used. We have an extensive cookie database that we use to auto-categorize. Any known cookies that are found will be moved to the “categorized” tab.
Any cookies that are categorized, we can block and load on consent. Any cookies remaining in “uncategorized” will be ignored by our cookie banner and will be written regardless of consent.
To ensure Enzuzo can handle all cookies in use, you must go through the remaining list and either categorize or ignore the cookies.
Please note, that if you are unsure about a specific cookie function it's best to categorize it as “Functional” to ensure it is written on page load.
Cookies scanned, uncategorized:
Cookies scanned, automatically categorized:
Once the scan has been completed, some manual work will be required to categorize any cookies we do not have in our database.
Step 8: Turn on TCF
To ensure Google Compliance, you must adhere to the Transparency & Consent Framework (TCF) guidelines. Enzuzo streamlines this for you by enabling all settings required for TCF compliance in a single settings toggle.
To enable TCF, navigate to Cookie Consent > Manage Cookies > Configure > Advanced.
Please note, that due to TCF requirements, some banner configuration settings will be disabled/adjusted to match TCF guidelines.
Selecting your Region Settings in Enzuzo
Enzuzo's region settings allow you to configure the behaviour of the cookie banner based on geographical regions. In this article, we will review the opt-in and opt-out options based on your visitors' locations.
- Opt-In: Users must take affirmative action like clicking an "Accept" or "Agree" button to allow the website to place cookies on their devices.
- Opt-Out: By default, cookies are set and used unless the user takes action to refuse them.
- Don't Show: This disables the cookie banner for that specific region. The default setting for the cookie banner is Worldwide.
How to Add a New Region
- From the region selection dropdown choose the Country or Region of choice
- Click Add button
- The Region will be added and the default setting will be Don't Show
- You can then configure the settings to your preferences
Worldwide Default Setting
If you don't want the cookie banner to display to every visitor around the world, we recommend keeping Worldwide set as Don't Show. If you add a new region, those regional settings will override the worldwide setting, and show based on your selections.
For example: If Worldwide is set to Don't Show, and EU is set to Opt-In, the cookie banner will only be visible to website visitors who are located in the European Union (GDPR). It won't show to visitors from other regions.
Read more about setting up cookie banner regions.
How to add your cookie banner to your website
Here’s how to easily install your cookie banner on your website or mobile app.
- Under the Cookie Consent section in the dashboard visit the Add to Website tab
- Copy the embed code snippet below to your clipboard
- Paste the code into the Site Header - HTML section of your website
- Your cookie banner will now be visible on your website
How to Implement Google Consent Mode with Google Tag Manager
Read our step-by-step instructions on how to set up a cookie consent banner with Google Tag Manager.
Osman is the content lead at Enzuzo. He has a background in data privacy management via a two-year role at ExpressVPN and extensive freelance work with cybersecurity and blockchain companies. Osman also holds an MBA from the Toronto Metropolitan University.